Subscribe in a reader

20060623

to hide SKIP links or to not hide SKIP links?

On a programming email list an interesting discussion has come up.

To hide Skip Links or not to.

Here's my thoughts.
I'll display the code and let you know what it means:


:::""" border="0" alt="Skip to Main Content" />""":::

now before the web heads question my syntax, you know very well the colons and quotes are only there so the browser won't interpret the code, they are there to let the code display with in this post.

now lets talk about it.



What this code does is it creates a link where ever you please, usually it is done at the very top of the page, of course past the title and main header for the page.

and then it requests an image to be embeded with the link but, here's the cool part.

since you obviously can't display anything as small as 5 pixels its obviously going to not be seen. therefore we have a hidden link. that only the screen readers can detect and use as a blindness related tool.

so why the discussion??


because people differ on whether should they be hidden or not.

if you take out the image tag and properties out of the link tag you will see a line that reads "Skip to Main Content" above all your other links, this is why. so then you ask, but why the discussion. because some coders want accessibility to be known and not hidden. if blind people always try and hide their accessibility tools to try and to conform to a standard mold how is blindness awareness supose to take place?

my opinion on the matter?

Well obviously I have two, I have to have two opinions on it, a personal and proffesional opinion. is that possible? yes it is, because I have an opinion when I am being paid and I have an opinion on my own personal projects.



lets start with my professional opinion. Do what ever your boss tells you to.

now my personal opinion.

Do what ever I feel like that day. *grins *

Have a Good Day!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave on topic and fair comments related to the post you are commenting on. any other comments will be deleted and the user will be banned from commenting on this site. Thanks! - The BlindTech.

<< Home